ZR-TEC - The Build! - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Filled it up with coolant and found a leak... There is a coolant tubing that runs down the back of the block. To clean it i bead blasted it and i think it may have pitted it slightly round the seal. The seal was obviously replaced but the pitting is ruining the seal. Inlet manifold back off then and have to look at it.

Battery all in place now though, nice and secure. Kill switch mounted on the dash and the pull cords all connected. Big job done.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Had a few more hours on it today. Looked further into the distributer wiring and finally cracked what the issue was... The wrong dizzy for that engine really...

First start-up vid... It's running smooth as you like, the video makes it sound rough, but it's quiet as a mouse. Speedo is all working and so are the fans now. It may not seem like a big deal but having it all working in an MG and PROPERLY is good progress. Everything is coming together nicely!

Thanks to Sam for his help today and nice to see Kane. Thanks to Ade as always!

John

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by T18_MPA View Post
    Pics needed then mate, want to see what it looks like
    Here you go, especially for you!

Mudflaps... Managed to get some proper Kaylan stuff which is really really durable. Got some nice little Ally brackets too! :smart:

Started mounting the brackets.

Wired up the fans.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    A few minor updates...

I got the mudflaps all mounted. It was actually quite a nightmare! There are loads of rules this year about cars having mudflaps mounted properly, so quite important.

Not great pics. Template!

Started to mount one of the fronts. I'll have to get better pics of the rest tomorrow.

Wiring... Now it's running, it's time to tidy the loom up. As i'm getting it up and running using the standard ECU, we had to make it work using a mix match of Honda/Rover looms. Here's the tedious part! :thumbsup:

More tomorrow.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Fit the new ITG Maxogen enclosed kit.

Sprayed the filter with the schnizz they supplied.

Nice cold air feed!

Phone is crap at pics!

LOL at bonnet! :-/

Dislike / Like Alerts
    The main thing that was going to let the car down was suspension. The GAZ Golds were very good for the money and were great on tarmac, but they wouldn't have stood up to gravel. These can do both with two separate spring setups. Nice thick pistons and remote cannisters. Got rose jointed ally top mounts too. Very nice!

Now the engine is all run in it's time to start tuning it a bit further. First thing on the list was a Hondata S300.

It currently needs mapping to the car - going to be done in the next few weeks though. Going to lower v-tec and raise the rev limit a little with it. It's got all the features too like full throttle shift and launch. Nice bit of kit.

Cheers,

John

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Had some progress but not great amount of time to share... Here you go guys...

All greased and ready for fitting.

Had these made to mount the cannisters.

Had some fun with fire... :clap2:

Wrapped the rear cannisters in mudflap material to give them some protection. Especially when going on gravel... :-S

Got the suspension all fitted to find i wasn't happy with the ride height which brought the need to some spacers to keep the springs seated.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Decided to delay plans until 2012 so i don't have to renew my license for a limited amount of events. This meant i could get it in the garage and finish the last few bits. On the agenda:-

- Fit Hydraulic Handbrake
    - Poly Bush front
    - Fit bigger brake master cylinder
    - Paint underside
    - Fit heated front screen
    - Wire in the extinguisher

This will see everything 100% ready for competing in 2012! :smile2:

Got it in the air and stripped everything underneath ready for welding.

Tarmac Pirelli RS5's on straights compared to Micheline FB71's on 15" Team Dynamics.

And a test fit of a gravel wheel. Fits over the 4 pots which is a great start!

Then started looking at getting a plan together for the handbrake... Going to be a PITA! :evilmad:

More soon!

Dislike / Like Alerts
    I've been putting loads of hours into this recently, out till early hours every evening! :blink:

One job was stripping the underside so i could weld inside for the handbrake... I figured once welding was done i would give the underside a good stone chip, paint and wax oil.

Before.

I used some really tough stone chip which is awesome stuff then did it all gloss black. Not the best pics though...

Then started to build it back up underneath.

Pics make it look real patchy, but got plenty of paint on it! Certainly better than having none on there... :P

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Main job was fitting the hydraulic handbrake.

Had to start planning on a nice sturdy mounting for it as it will be under plenty of strain.

Got a suitable base for it

Welded some captive nuts underneath.

Made some boxing.

Did some welding, painting and fitting...