MG ZR+ original or not?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Dislike / Like Alerts

MG ZR+ original or not?

I recently brought an mg zr+ as a bit of a learning project, used to drive but haven't been allowed to for the past 8 years for health reasons.

the car I brought was an mg zr+ I am wondering if the silver panels attached are original or whether they should be green?

The car does have a few issues, drivers side window wouldn't work, the cog weld had snapped off the regulator, this is all now fixed,
    There is a bit of rust, have sanded this back to bare metal ready to clean up, have also noticed have the silencer is missing.

The car had some extras attached, green led lighting in the foot wells, and a push button to start, gimmicky I know.

but here is the car

if not orginal do I run with it and sport the car up after all the issues are solved or put back to original state?

I brought it for what I now consider a bit of a bad price but was hoping to tidy it up to sell.

Hope to hear from you soon, this is my first post

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Hi Dave,

Welcome to the club!
    As far as I know, the silver bits aren't standard and should be body coloured.
    The issues you've mentioned don't seem too bad considering it's a 13yo car, the rust for example, was probably on it when it left the factory!

How much did you pay for it to think it was a bad price?

With regards to 'sporting it up' or restoring it, only you can make that decision, but if it's purely for re-selling, I'd restore it.
    Most Joe public buyers are more cautious of a car that looks like it's been ragged, however well the work may have been done.
    If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Hi Levaz, Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply.

I myself thought someone put the silver trim on rather than original body colour but wanted to make sure.

I have to say being 13 years old the rust isn't all bad, the worst area is around the bootlock.

I paid £500 for the car, mot until 0ctober time but did notice a few advisories on the last mot that might need to be checked at.
    Have also noticed the tyres are wearing a bit on the outers so will need to check this too.

It's only a 1.4 but like I said wanted something as a project but overall I don't think much needs to be done, need to find out why the battery is fully dead Think I have a drain somewhere so will check this when I can bump the car and put charge in the battery.

I think I will go back to original to the car and tidy it up as much as possible both cosmetic and mechanical wise.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    £500 doesn't seem to bad a price in all honesty.

If you check my daily / project thread, you'll see the one I took a punt on about 4 weeks ago.
    £300 with 10 months mot for a 3dr 1.4 on 102,000.
    That had a couple of small mechanical niggles on it, but it ran, so far it owes me around £60-70 in parts.

I've also got a 5dr 105 currently on 72k that I bought this time last year for £1200 from a garage, but it was minty fresh (and for my wife)
    In 12 months, its had a head gasket (she's now learnt her lesson on car maintenance, but it was still on the original) which I repaired for £150 (including all extras, water pump, thermostat, new head bolts, gaskets etc) and a CV boot @ £2.99!

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Welcome Dave,

Got to say its a interesting colour choice but I actually quite like it myself, I think the green and silver go well together
    *~What You See... Depends On Where You Stand...~*

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Hi Fr3nchy, thanks for the welcome.

The colours are what brought my attention to the car, I had it delivered so didn't check before buying. it wasn't until a few days later when I went out to look at the car things didn't add up, it looks smart for sure.

I have just checked out your post levaz regarding the £300 very smart looking car have you nearly finished all now?

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Depends what you call finished lol.
    It gets used as a daily, the heating works, the electrics work.
    The plan for this long weekend is get a set of oem electric mirrors in, change the inlet manifold gasket, rocker gasket and new spark plugs.
    Hopefully that'll sort the lumpy idle out, then all it wants is speakers and a radio.
    Don't plan on going overboard on 'performance mods' i've got a 200bhp clio for that lol

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Started the car yesterday jumping it off the missus car started straight away first time I actually listened to the engine and saw it all running.
    I however noticed a few minutes in a large leak couldn't quite see where it was coming from so will inspect this, smelling the liquid that dropped on the floor there was no smell but dark in colour.

while checking it out I noticed the power steering fluid was quite bouncy cant say I ever noticed this before on any car but could have missed it.

The engine sounded rattly but will give it a service and go from there.

if im going to spend money on this I think I ill keep it and do something different to the car.

I have no removed the rust bubbles and rust patch and treated it also added filler, will sand this all down when I have the primer ready.

Think im going to become a regular poster as I have decided I will keep this even if cant drive but possibly make it a show car of some sort. maybe I should start adding pics before any work is done!

Anyone local to Worcestershire looking to offer a hand at times :P im no mechanic originally brought the car to sort the rust out as that's the way I wanted to learn but will be stripping the car back and rebuilding and learning that way.

If offering help must be a f1 fan :P if you mention the 2 words L.H I wont be best pleased

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Most of these are quite rattly, mine is until it warms up.
    Good to see your looking at hanging onto it, i'll be keeping an eye out for your progress on it!

Hopefully your leak isn't anything too serious. That's the nice thing with these cars, nothing on them is overly complicated.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Thank you, defo keeping it it's growing on me, been a bit slow on the car lately as had other jobs to do, did manage to sand filler back yesterday and took a look at the engine as to where the leak is coming from, I'm noticing water on the back bottom of the engine, also noticed the coolant is empty. I think or hope that its just a hose leaking will replace the hoses soon, possibly to a non standard colour. Then top up the coolant again.

Defo a rattle from the engine but if no coolant I wonder why. Will replace all oils spark plugs etc and fit an upmarket air filter.
    Exhaust needs replacing again may not replace with standard but an up market stainless steel.

Back brake will need looking at noticed advisory on hand brake, it has been adjusted inside the car already so either a new cable is required or checking of brakes at rear.

All of this is new to me but will get there, anything that needs replacing I will do with after market products.

It's a 1.4 seeming as I won't drive it may in time change the engine. Maybe make a fun track day car or something.

Only way I learn is jumping in to jobs so will do just that with this.

One room left to paint, garden to sort for reakids for the summer then all my focus can go towards car during day and my website work in the evening.

Will take pics of work I'm doing as well as progress. No doubt I will have questions to ask. :-)