Hi Everyone and I've an Acceleration Problem
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Hi Everyone and I've an Acceleration Problem

Hi everyone.

I hope we're collectively able to help keep my beloved, yet slightly battered, MG ZR 113 Diesel on the road and cross the 250,000 mile barrier - currently on 187,000 miles.

Purchased on Friday 13th February 2004 from new and having survived three attempts by a variety of none MG ZR car drivers and and one attempt by a long wheel base driver towing a digger to write it off, it currently has one unfathomable issue.

Following the replacement of the fuel tank and sender last month it has developed a strange surging acceleration and deceleration between 2,000 and 2,800rpm which feels as though the engine is being starved of fuel.

Increasing the acceleration results in a cloud of exhaust smoke until the engine hits 3,000rpm when things settle down both in terms of acceleration and smoke.

Disconnecting the MAF cures this problem and initially it lead me to suspect that the MAF was the issue.

I have had MAF problems before, mainly, but not solely, caused by driving through fairly deep puddles on the Cheshire's country roads when water's managed to be taken up the air intake and hit the mass air flow sensor which has resulted in the loss of power. In the past removing and drying out the sensor has sorted out the problem.

However, as I thought water wasn't the issue this time I purchased and fitted a new MAF, but, the problem has remained as described above.

Anyone any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Have you checked that you don't have any split boost pipes if mafs ok