Just bought a MGZR 1.4 need advice
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Just bought a MGZR 1.4 need advice

Hi everyone. Well against my friends advice I have opted for an MG ZR 1.4 as it was going from a good seller and only 37k miles.

Obviously there is alot of talk about head gasket failure. So all am am after having never had a rover or MG before am I best to change it or leave the original on?

Some say its only the 1.8l to have an issue but as I say never had these before and after sound advice.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Its any k series that can and probably will have HG failure unfortunately. Has it had the gasket done before?

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    No its not been done. Only 37k miles. Is the gereral consensus to change it. How easy is it? Any prefered kits? Seen a few kits on ebay £48 all the gaskets and bolts. Apart from that the car is very clean and well serviced

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Before you can think about ordering a HG first you need to remove the cylinder head and check the wet liner heights. If they are uneven, low or flush you will be unable to fit the later MLS gasket kit. Either way I would use Payen gaskets the cheap stuff generally leaks coolant from the edge of the gasket and if the bolts are poor quality it wont last

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    From what i have read the current dowles are some sort of plastic and should be replaced with steel ones? the kit includes these dowels. Going by what your saying no matter what condition the liners are in i will not be able to fit the MLS - will the Payen fit regardless? I know the car has been well serviced and in the short time I have had it kept a very keen eye on temp and coolant level which so far (touch wood) have been spot on.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Thats right originally the engines had plastic dowels but you will get metal ones in the kit. As for lines as long as they are all level and sit 2-4 thou above the block face then you can fit the MLS gasket, if not its the original style gasket you will need. Look on discount mg rover spares shop they are normally about the cheapest with good quality parts. There is another gasket available which I'm running on the race engine called the N series (as fitted to the mg6 etc) same rules apply to lines trouble is its above £130 just for gasket all tho no HG failures have been reported by mg since the new gasket design have been used
    Last edited by JOHNDQ; 01-09-16 at 10:17.

8. Likes GrumpyDad0 liked this post
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Cheers mate, yes just checked them out think ill go for the Payen £70. Mine is 2003 guessing its non VVC how do you confirm this? Just bought a haynes manual too, do you need to make up a tool to lock the cams or can you get away with an m8 or m10 bolt like some engines? Cheers for the help

10. Likes GrumpyDad0 liked this post
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    The 160 vvc engine is a 1.8 easy to spot has a alloy intake manifold and another cam belt on the rear of the engine above the gearbox area. Good guys at mg parts place post can sometimes be a tough slow tho. No can't use bolts but the cam tool is only a few pounds for ebay ect but its not something you definitely need all tho as does safe bit of time