New to ZRs - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to ZRs

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
    Id rather do that than be stuck at side of road some where cooking then ending up needed a new head and block my attitude is prevention is better than cure.
    But the point is, sudden 'unexpected failure usually only happens when owners don't bother checking regularly. K series HGF almost always gives plenty of warning signs, and if the owner is paying attention has plenty of time to arrange a repair without there being any risk of sudden catastrophic HGF. If you have the tools and skills to do the job yourself, it isn't a big job, and needen't be expensive, but if you have to rely on a garage or mobile mechanic, it is a fairly significat expense for little gain.

The important point to remember is that the head gasket is guaranteed to fail at an early mileage - some of them end their days at well over 100k without ever needing a head gasket replacement.

In the end, it's the owners money, but the advice you will get on every MG and Rover forum will be; "don't fix it if it isn't broken"; this has always been the best advice, , and you will get the same advice from the both established MG Rover mobile repairers and ordinary DIY Rover enthusiast mechanics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
    .....plus you can get good kits for cheap (not the stupid prices like rimmers) i'm sure there will be links on here some where.
    This is one reason there are so many repeat failures - people think that they can do it on the cheap - I wouldn't recommend using anything other than recognised quality parts from a recognised brand - you will find the price won't be much less than the standard XPart prices (don't blame Rimmer Bros - they are an XPart reseller, so are largely governed by what XPart dictate the price to be. If you bother to look (and clearly you haven't), you will find some of the genuine parts that Rimmers sell are significantly cheaper than aftermarket factors parts from elsewhere, and there are some parts for which the XPart srp is ridiculously cheap.

There is only one gasket kit I would recommend as being very, very reliable, and that is the SAIC multi layer gasket; and the only sources for them will cost you about £60 for the gasket on its own, and £200+ for the full kit which includes higher tensile bolts and stronger lower oil rail.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Trouble with the N Series is the kit is expensive and if you do a look on good old web a lot of people (mainly Lotus) had had a lot of problems with bolts. I have used it tho myself on a few engines including my own motorsport engine and it seems ok but I did have one leak oil which I've never had before. Interestingly none of the kits ive had have ever had 10.9 stamped on bolts

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Evil C- not sure of your ignorance but no where did i say use cheap ass gasket sets? i said you can pick them up cheap, cheap = discounts/sales or even free.

John and i are just stating its better to get it done, even if its been looked after or had everything checked daily you are still going to get a failure one time or another.

My advice to the OP is to get the car checked to make sure all is good and has no early signs of HGF.