A/C removed,

Thread: A/C removed,

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dislike / Like Alerts

A/C removed,

Hi guys (or just john)

I had my A/C removed as i'll never use it but the chap was meant to removed the pump and front rad but never did, i've looked it up and seems easy to finish the job but i'm reading two things, i need a new tensioner? which was replaced due to new belts, would i still need to? 2rd, i'm reading i need a bracket for when i move the alternater to where the pump is, looked on ebay and only seen one for a 1.8 but wants nearly 20$ for it, do i need one as if so i'll pop to the scrappy for a cheaper one.

I know i need a new belt but its just the above stuff, unless there is something else i'm missing?

Dislike / Like Alerts
    You need the non a/c bracket that mounts to block and the tensioner set up (which is the lower alternator mount as well) all a fairly straight forward job tho to remove probably easiest to remove front bumper to remove condenser etc

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Cheers john

I asked a scrappy and i can get the bracket for 5$ so i'll get that, when you say tensioner set up, do you mean how tight it is or the tensioner for the belt changed?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    The belt set-up for cars with air conditioning (and the alternator mounted up high) used an automatic belt tensioner. The non-air con cars did not have an auto tensioner; instead they had a thin tensioning bolt that fitted through the alternator braket and tensiond the belt bu turning it clockwise (to swing the alternator forward in its mountings). You then tighten the alternator to the bracket which holds it in place with belt tensioned. The adjusting bolt is very slim and tends to sieze in the threaded hole in the bracket, so can be a pain to adjust in the future.

NB. you will need a different belt if you are converting the car to the non-air con arrangement - the need for a different alternator mounting bracket and shorter belt is probaby why your mechanic left the compressor in place when he removed the air con pipework. He probably left the condenser in place because of the need to remove the bumper to get at it (and the bolts holding the bumper up to the wing are invariably terminally rusted up and break off unless they have been well lubricated in the past or recently replaced). Unless you are wanting to lose the weight, it won't do any harm to be left where it is tbh.