Too much fuel

Thread: Too much fuel

Dislike / Like Alerts

Too much fuel

Hi guys.

Cars been on the road for 4 months now and noticed its taking a shit ton on fuel up, i read on a normal drive on half a tank i should get close to 100 miles (times its over) yet i get around 50 miles most times not even that, i been loosing coolant as well but for the life of me can't find the problem, flushed it yesterday as i changed the inlet manifold gasket as i read this could leak coolant and help with the fuel problem yet it still went down on coolant.

wifes going mad as its to the point of scrapping this car as its had over 3k spent on it already and it still plays up and looks like a shed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    I get 110-120 miles from my ZS to £20. Same every week, from the fuel light being on thats just over 1/4 of a tank with the 120 1.8

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Well i serviced the car and put 20 in it, come today with less than 50 miles and i've had to put 20 in it tonight, could there be something going on that is sucking it up?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Definitely seems very excessive guessing your not driving flat out everywhere. Are you sure cars not running rich?

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Nope only doing 20-30 tops, i'm like a old person from what people have told me.

I've checked the car over and cant find anything wrong, the fuel filter seemed really heavy compared to the new one (even while no fuel in it) oil was black when taken out but nothing bad, coolant got flushed when all belts got done and coolant was going down so i read up that i need to change the inlet gasket so i changed it and was told to empty the coolant (not sure why) so it got another flush and pre mix put in, seems ok right now but seems to be dark in the tank (still told its not HGF as the gasket seems new).

wifes *****ing as its for school run and shopping so it should not be taking so much fuel, & being working its heavy on the wages.

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    My guess is that there is a duff sensor - possibly the coolant temperature sensor (no signal, so the ECU thinks the car is cold all the time), or quite possibly the Lambda sensor in the down pipe (this is the one that has a direct effect on the fuelling). I would start by connecting an OBD code reader, and see if there are any fault codes that may give a clue.

Don't know how many litres you are getting for your £20, but I would expect you to be getting at least double the mileage for that kind of amount.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    I would say it was the cat sensor but it was new, plus back box and cat, only thing not new is pre-cat but seems it was replaced with one from a scrappy as it has the yellow writing on it.

obd comes clear and i've used both readers ive got, unplugged coolant sensor and it came up the code, plugged back in and cleared and no code came up, same on under floor cat, not tried pre-cat as the weather was bad today. i know my rear drivers rose bush needs replacing but this could not do this damage could it?

its only a 1.4 (remapped from what ive been told)

Dislike / Like Alerts
    If its been remapped you could have a bad tune (I.e could just be mapped to add a load more fuel) can you get live data on your scan tool can check the injection duration? K Series are normally good on fuel, we went away at weekend in ZS, 4 people, dog, boot full and still got 197.4 miles to 1/2 tank wasn't really driving easy. Bet a/c was on for nearly half the trip too