Metallic squeaking sound when turning left.
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Metallic squeaking sound when turning left.

My ZR has developed a rubbing/metallic kind of squeak from the front drivers side wheel when turning left.

It sometimes stops if I apply the brakes, but not always.

I've had it up off the floor and span both wheels lock to lock, checked for play in the bearings, inspected the CV boots, removed the pads and inspected the discs and backing plates. Checked the calipers and everything appears perfect. Off the ground there is no noise due to no load.

The only fault I can see is my ABS rings are fecked, heavily corroded and cracked. Replacing them is on my to do list I don't know if that could be the cause of the squeaky grinding sound? Like I say only when turning left, the harder I turn in the worse it sounds.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    would like to no this also went down some lanes through the car about abit an noticed doing round a slow sharp corner
    l Build Thread l
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Likes Mean & Green liked this post
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean & Green View Post
    My ZR has developed a rubbing/metallic kind of squeak from the front drivers side wheel when turning left.

It sometimes stops if I apply the brakes, but not always.

I've had it up off the floor and span both wheels lock to lock, checked for play in the bearings, inspected the CV boots, removed the pads and inspected the discs and backing plates. Checked the calipers and everything appears perfect. Off the ground there is no noise due to no load.

The only fault I can see is my ABS rings are fecked, heavily corroded and cracked. Replacing them is on my to do list I don't know if that could be the cause of the squeaky grinding sound? Like I say only when turning left, the harder I turn in the worse it sounds.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Sounds very much like your offside CV joint needs replacing, and are supplied with the ABS ring already attached.

If you park your car and dont look back at it as you walk away, then the ZR is the wrong car for you.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydunne View Post
    Sounds very much like your offside CV joint needs replacing, and are supplied with the ABS ring already attached.
    Yeah I was thinking of changing the whole assembly instead of messing about trying to press new rings on.

The squeaky grinding sound has now stopped. Hopefully it will stay that way until I get around to doing the job. My money is tied up in another car. I need to find a replacement for my daily driver as it's time for the scrap yard in the sky for my Micra.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    J&R cv joints from eBay are excellent quality and very cheap. Just changed 2 on my van and 2 on the girlfriends ZR.

9. Likes Mean & Green liked this post
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    I was going to suggest the wear indicators on the inner brake pads. Almost impossible to see fitted and when the pads are getting worn they only start touching and making a noise when cornering and the suspension/brakes are flexing enough to make contact

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Sabre View Post
    I was going to suggest the wear indicators on the inner brake pads. Almost impossible to see fitted and when the pads are getting worn they only start touching and making a noise when cornering and the suspension/brakes are flexing enough to make contact
    The pads are virtually new, I changed them 7000 miles ago and I've taken them out and inspected everything to double check that they are still fine.

The squeaking has stopped, I will be changing the outer CV's as the ABS rings have had it. The car is purely a toy so there is no real urgency at the mo. it's on my to do list thanks for the suggestions folks