Red mg zr just purchased!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Red mg zr just purchased!

Hi All,

So here is the current project, i purchased this car only 3 days ago.

The car was falsely advertised which sucks, as it need a lot more work than advertised....but i did pick it up for £295 so i cant complain to much i guess.

Work i have done so far and is currently being done.

Had full service, oil change, spark plugs etc etc.
    Purchased new alternator as the old one was not working correctly.
    Purchased new water pump and timing belt.
    Purchased new power steering belt.
    Cleaning up the calipers.

Next on the list is changing the Exhaust manifold Cat, and rear break pipes.

Needs some welding work done on the passenger sill but my father in law is going to do that for me.

And needs some slight body work, which i will attempt myself.

I will try to keep this post updated as the work is carried out, for those who are interested.

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Unfortunately they always need a bit more work than the sales say what's wrong with the cat on manifold

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
    Unfortunately they always need a bit more work than the sales say what's wrong with the cat on manifold
    I am not mechanically minded at all so forgive my lack of knowledge here, but as far as im aware, its just in bad shape, very rusty etc, been told it would be unlikely to pass mot in april with it so need changing, will try and get a picture of it tonight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    If you need one I have one I dont need in good shape I think you can have it if you cover postage but put pictures up first

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    If you need one I have one I dont need in good shape I think you can have it if you cover postage but put pictures up first
    Very kind of you man thank you, my brother in law is a mechanic so he could fit that for me, so that would be fantastic.
    Yeah i will take a few snaps on my phone tonight at get it posted.

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Hi, i hope i have taken the correct pictures, i was told this is the correct area to photograph, again what the problems actually are...i dont know, only that the garage said it needs replacing.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    If the exhaust isn't blowing I wouldn't worry to much. It is very common for the flexi joint to fail in front of the 2nd catalyst under the car tho but as still it would be blowing

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    If the exhaust isn't blowing I wouldn't worry to much. It is very common for the flexi joint to fail in front of the 2nd catalyst under the car tho but as still it would be blowing
    Im not mechanically minded and very new to cars, how would i know if it was blowing ? what am i listening for or looking for with that ?

Dislike / Like Alerts
    No you would hear it

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    As i said i would do - ill keep this updated.

So i have had a new alternator fitted, along with a new power steering belt, timing belt, water pump and calipers greased.

I have made a start on the body work also, i started yesterday, i have picked up some primer and paint also from halfords so that will be painted today.

Here is a picture of some of the rust (there was more than what is shown in this image.

Here is some of the patch work, i used a angle grinder to get it back to bare metal and used a rust stopper and then used a car filler, on the main hole however i had to fiberglass that then filler it.

Also as i have a rip in the drivers seat, i decided to invest in some car seat covers

I will post pictures once the car patch work has been painted.