Project street car challenge- drag race ZR/R25
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Lightbulb Project street car challenge- drag race ZR/R25

Hello all just thought id stick a thread up to keep forum alive and let you know about my latest stupid idea. As most that come here know ive almost finished my ZR i have been building for the 750 Motor Club's Hot Hatch race series which i should be racing in next year (2018) Anyway a few weeks ago i went to Santa Pod with said ZR and i got hooked, a few years back i used to run in the Street Car Challenge with my Mitsubishi Evo 7 RS Sprint (car no CC1975) before moving over to trackdays then onto circuit racing but i really fancy running a ZR or R25 in the SCC again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3QTSaii_Qk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We8V6...FI2F_Tx5Vh41bQ

So back to this project and this is the plan....

1. A ZR or R25 3 Door without sun roof using fibre glass tailgate and bonnet, Polycarbonate windows, everything that can be removed will be.
    2. 160 engine fully lightened and balanced with full Piper ARKBP320 cam conversion with solid lifters and EP strengthened engine block , forged rods, high compression pistons, ported large valve head, Jenvey large 48mm throttle bodies, Janspeed manifold, EP 3.5KG flywheel, race fuel system, Bosch motorsport injectors, Emerald K6 ecu with full throttle gear change.

Last weekend made a start went and got a engine/ gearbox out of a Lotus Exige 111S with 48k. Only using the cylinder head and box from it tho the block with be rebuilt as spare for the race ZR....

Getting it all stripped down and checked, pleased to see seller was honest the engine has never had HG failure....

Head all stripped, checked and off for hardness testing before porting etc....

All the VVC parts ready for Ebay....

Hope no one got bored reading it On paper engine should be at least 250bhp but will have to wait and see on that front. Not really got a time frame for it all due to it taking second place to the other ZR but want it done within 2 years which should be just about achievable fitting it went when can between other cars and family life with a 7 and 5 year old kids Will had to tell them holidays and days out will be at a minimum for now

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    why not a turbo, since it is a full on power project?

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Not interested in the turbo route as I'm after a fast revving engine and the K Series is hard enough to make reliable as it is without the extra stress and heat from forced induction. Also if I want to move up into class A in racing I could swap engines over but forced induction is banned in also all club level racing here

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    200+ is more than enough from a K series. Good luck to you hopefully see you on track as the race series I'm with is part of the 750MC

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Yeah definitely mate you'll see me there next year. As said this engine is only gonna be used really for a laugh at the strip as bit of a sleeper and personal enjoyment of doing it. Like you said I believe 200bhp on the standard block is probably max otherwise I'm informed it begins to flex. I guess thats why MG/Power train maxed the race engines to 190bhp