Looking for a ZR to buy or swap
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Looking for a ZR to buy or swap

Hi,

I'm in the early stages of considering getting a (well-sorted) ZR. I thought I'd post this up here since decent ZRs don't pop up every day and I'm not in a rush.

I'm based in Cambridgeshire.

If there's anyone out there nearby who is looking for a new home for their ZR, please give me a shout. I am ideally looking for a 1.4, (but may consider 1.6 or 2.0 diesel). I also may consider a ZS, but would prefer the ZR if possible.

I have available to swap a Smart Roadster if anyone is interested. I also have a Rover Coupe (Tomcat), but would be very reluctant to part with it unless it 100% felt like the right car.

If those don't float your boat I would consider buying for cash, although I definitely wouldn't be looking to do so until well into next year.

Even if you're just local and want to meet up and show off your car let me know (are there any meets going on?), I'd be interested to have a look at some ZRs to get a feel for different condition, worthwhile mods, and just to sit in some so I can decide if this is they are right for me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Don't think any for sale here forum quite now unfortunately and getting a good ZR is hard now. I would like to hear about the Coupe tho and see some pictures I'm not far away in Bedford. I don't have a ZR tho sold my MK2 160 and replaced it with a 1992 R8 200 3 door but still have a MK2 ZS and MK1 25 what are you after the ZR for just a daily?

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
    what are you after the ZR for just a daily?
    I probably should have explained that! I want something capable of being a daily, but whether I will need it to be is unlikely (unless my wife needs the usual daily for work).

It would mostly be a weekend car that I'd intend to keep in decent condition and tinker with a bit. I like cheap cars with good handling so I can have a little fun. And I have a soft spot for MGR cars due to previous cars I've owned including a Rover 25. I'd possibly be interested in having a bit of fun on track or perhaps hillclimb in the ZR, but nothing serious really.

The coupe... I'm really not ready to give up so reluctant to even go there yet! PM me if you're interested in letting the ZS go and we can talk but you might struggle to convince me
    Last edited by zzz; 23-10-18 at 15:45.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Haha get a 1.8 if you fancy a few trackdays that's what I do with mine. I will be moving the ZS on but on until spring so probably be to late by then. I must say tho the ZS is way better than the ZR in every aspect and they don't seem to rust as bad

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
    Haha get a 1.8 if you fancy a few trackdays that's what I do with mine. I will be moving the ZS on but on until spring so probably be to late by then. I must say tho the ZS is way better than the ZR in every aspect and they don't seem to rust as bad
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want, but think I need to take a look at a few ZRs and ZSs really to get a feel for them. Might have a look if there are any at used car dealers near me just so I can take a few test drives. Don't like to hassle private sellers when I'm not serious about buying a car: I've been on the receiving end of tyre-kickers and its frustrating!

Dislike / Like Alerts
    That's probably a good idea if you can get a drive first see which one you like best

Dislike / Like Alerts
    ZS are good cars, good kick in power than the ZR been told just go for a 2L on a ZR if you want power but the ZR is kinda small and lack of space yet still has a kick to it.
    I did find ZS are just a tad better in handling or it was just me.

Test drive is a must but think of the pros/cons on both and always always try for full history and all information if the head has been done and car has not been ragged.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Agree the ZS is definitely is best handling car. Good thing is aswel for track is the rear camber and toe are adjustable and since it's Honda stuff there's a lot of parts available. That's why I moved from the ZR to the earlier 200

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Well there's a reasonable looking face-lifted 25 and ZS I've found, will try and get a test drive in of each and see what I think.

There seem to be so few ZRs about these days, but I have to say out of the ZR, 25, ZS and 45 I do prefer the styling of (particularly the face-lifted) ZR: It just seems more fun and more unique than the others which very obviously have their roots in 90s Rovers. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I own one, I just fancy something a bit different.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Agree I like the MK2 ZR best of all. With the smoothed bumpers, tailgate, single piece headlamps and the updated interior they seem more modern. There also bit nicer to drive with the improved pedal box and rear suspension geometry