Newbie owner

Thread: Newbie owner

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Newbie owner

Hey everyone, I'm jay, live in Blackpool, just bought a mk2 ZR 105, first time owning an MG everything before has been jap

Looking forward to seeing what this little thing can do though

Will post pictures tomorrow

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Well the ZR has very Japanese roots so you should be fine

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    I saved this ZR from the scrap heap ***x1f602; was looking for a project so managed to grab it pretty cheap, needs a few things doing, the immobiliser keep kicking in though, I have heard they're easy enough to get around

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Common problem on MK2 unfortunately there not as easy to get around as all the alarm, immobilizer etc are housed in the SCU control module

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Welcome

The ZR's are great car but ZS is better . nice to see someone save a ZR than to drive it to the ground and get crushed. remember the 105 is good but don't get heavy footing it just stroll with it.

If the immobiliser keeps kicking in check the SCU behind the glove box, more than likely its the dreaded water problem (easy fix to stop it) hope its not.

Super Moderator
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    If immobiliser is kicking in, I would check tailgate wiring loom. On the RH side boot hinge you will see rubber tube in which wires can be broken and causing immobiliser to kick in.

9. Likes whitetop liked this post
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Well it's got a few issues, obviously the immobiliser, also the engine management light is on, and under the bonnet I heard like a buzz sound that goes away when I disconnect the battery

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-mk2 View Post
    Well it's got a few issues, obviously the immobiliser, also the engine management light is on, and under the bonnet I heard like a buzz sound that goes away when I disconnect the battery
    I had that then i smashed my alarm with a hammer lol. i would get it plugged in for sure and i agree check the loom for bad wires.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    If the 'buzz' you refer to is more of a high pitched sound, and is coming from near the throttle body, it is merely the stepper motor in the inlet air control valve (IACV) resetting. It is perfectly normal after the engine is switched off, and will stop of its own accord after five minutes or so.

If there is a buzzing from the metal 'box' behind and to the right of the coolant expansion tank, it is likely that the alarm sounder is waterlogged, and/or something is triggering the alarm. It will need taking out and drying out or replacing; although I wouldn't expect the alarm to stop making a noise when the car battery is disconnected - the later Mk1 and the MK2 25/ZR has a battery backed up alarm sounder (BBUS), and once triggered, will continue to sound until it is disarmed by using the unlock button on the fob, or when its internal battery runs flat (can take a couple of days!!!). If it is waterlogged, and therefore short circuited, it won't respond to the fob button!.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy having your ZR once you get all the little issues sorted out