Engine not starting
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Engine not starting

Hey everybody, having a problem starting the engine, think it's the immobiliser, when I turn the key all I get is a high pitched sort of siren from behind the dash on the passenger side, which I guessing is the immobiliser

My question is does anyone know how to get the engine started, I don't have that code as obviously I bought the car second hand and never received the code

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Other than the SCU ecu in centre of dash behind the heater there's nothing but wiring there are you sure it's not the alarm siren in the nearside of engine bay

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Not sure, you can hear it from the engine bay, but it's louder inside

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    You might have a bad replay in you SCU behind the heater/glove box as john said.

I had this same noise and found my window reply had popped after having my alternator replaced (before i knew my how to thanks to john) if you don't have air-con you'll be able to get the SCU easy but if you got air-con its a very tight problem. I would get my ear down there as far as you can and if its louder the more your in then its a bad/gonna replay and would need good soldering skills to replace.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    This will be the internal immobiliser alarm which sounds if you try to turn the ignition key to start the engine without the security system receiving the disarm signal from the fob (ie. trying to start the engine with the immobiliser still armed).

There is an 'exciter' coil around the ignition switch barrel which (when the key is turned) emits a signal which stimulates the fob to transmit the disarm signal to the security system (in the case of your Mk2, the Pektron SCU). There are three likely reasons for the immobiliser not disarming and this alarm sounding:

The SCU has suffered from water ingress (it can run down the loom from the engine bay, especially after a pressure washing under the bonnet) - the first thing the wet comes into contact with is the radio reciever circuit board for the fob signal, and this gets short circuited by the wet and no longer works - in this case, you will get no response to using the fob buttons at all (no central locking, and no engine start (the latter coupled with the immobiliser active alarm that you are hearing). If your central locking works OK from the fob, it won't be this problem.

The remote fob is too far away from the ignition barrel to be stimulated by the exciter coil (they do need to be quite close, but if hung on the same key ring as the ignition key should normally be hanging close enough).

The battery in the remote fob is flat (no central locking working from the fob + the immobiliser alarm sounding) and therefore the fob is not transmitting the disarm signal when stimulated. NB: for some reason the stimulation by the exciter coil sometimes needs more power in the fob battery than simply unlocking the car from outside does, and in some circumstances the car can be unlocked by the remote fob, but there is insufficient charge in the fob battery to respond to the exciter coil. It is always worth fitting a brand new battery to the fob to verify whether this is the case - they are just a standard CR2032 button type cell, so not expensive.

If, after further investigation, you end up suspecting that the SCU has suffered water ingress and is damaged, I would recommend getting in touch with Paul Brown at https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/, who will be able to recommend the best course of action - he is able to repair the SCU if not too badly damaged (the worst part is extracting the unit from behind the centre console, especially if you have a car with air conditioning). You may find his excellent thread on mg-rover.org worth a read too: https://forums.mg-rover.org/how-do-i...cu-bcu-384938/. In particular, it details how to remove the SCU from a 25/ZR (someone else has also put a video of the procedure on YouTube which can be easily found with a search). Good luck; it doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem, and may be as simple as a new battery in the fob

8. Likeswhitetop liked this post