Ball joint pain

Thread: Ball joint pain

Dislike / Like Alerts

Ball joint pain

Can anyone help on this, i need to get my drive shafts out but it seems while undoing the trailing arm ball joint nut it gets about 2cm up and it hits the ABS ring. I was forced to take the inner part of the arm off to get the CV joint out but started to piss it down but need to replace the dust cover on the ball joints (both sides) and need the outer arm off to put them on.

So would anyone know how to get this dam joint off without breaking the ABS ring as i have brought a splitter but due to the no gap i can't use it and no force seems to want to bring it a part.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Take the shaft from the gearbox out completely and replace the boot from that side.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Its the arm dust cover that needs replacing,

Bad picture but this is what the problem is, the nut is right up to the ABS ring and the arm/joint will not go down so i can get the nut off.

rQr5McT.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    The trouble is the ball joint is tapered so the tighter the nut is the tighter the fit, if your ball joint splitter is to big can you buy or borrow a folk type splitter? These are good but it will damage the dust cover but if thats what your replacing doesnt matter

Dislike / Like Alerts
    I don't know anyone really with one but if need be i'll have to buy one. Yet another thing to

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Always non stop spending keeping cars going but there not expensive

9. Likes whitetop liked this post
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Yeah i've got one and was only 3 quid from a hardware store, its the biggest one they had so hope it works. not to get rid off this splitter.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Ok update, i got the OS one done but the IS(drivers side) will not give way even with using the jack trick on the bottom of the ball joint, the ball is not moving but the thread rod just keeps turning when trying to get the last big of the nut off. i'm not sure what to do but i am back at the car on sunday to ever get the nut off and in hopes of not needing a new ball joint or cutting the rod and needing a new ball joint, any ideas on what i can do to save me more hassle?

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Have to got a hot air gun to warm the nut up with?

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
    Have to got a hot air gun to warm the nut up with?
    Nope and I've used a C and G clamps today, used many online tricked (apart from heating it up) but by the look of it the ball joint is a gonna and the reason of the problems I've had on that side.

Euro has a 50% sale so wife has said just cut it and get new ones as I've still not got the engine replace