A/C to non A/C

Thread: A/C to non A/C

Dislike / Like Alerts

A/C to non A/C

So i removed the A/C from the car and can't figure out what i need other than the adjuster for the alternator, i've looked on rimmers and both the brackets look alike (bottom one) and just need to know if the A/C bracket will work for the adjuster or do i have to replace the bracket as well?

Don't want to keep the A/C motor just for the auto tensioner as its making a noise as it is so i just want to remove the motor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    The generator drive belt on a 25/ZR with air conditioning is kept tight by an auto tensioner, whereas the belt on a 25/ZR without air conditioning has to be manually tightened using a bolt which fits through a hole in the bottom of the alternator casing.

I don't think it is possible to remove the air con compressor and still use the auto tensioner - taking the compressor away will leave the belt too slack to tighten. You will need to either relocate the alternator to the lower position using the appropriate brackets (and shorter belt), or you may be able to calculate the size/length belt you need to drive the alternator without the compressor (although I think it may not leave room for the auto tensioner going direct there and back from crank pulley to alternator??

Most people have simply converted from the AC setup to the non-AC setup, for which you will require the main alternator mounting bracket (part number YLU101410 - No.8 on Rimmer's diagram), the adjuster bracket (part number YLX100141, No.12), and the adjuster bolt (part number YYP100530, No.16).

You should be able to find all these in a breakers, but beware that the slim adjuster bolt is very often seized into the alternator casing, and may well shear off if you try to undo it without soaking in penetrating fluid, so probably as well to get a new one to start with.

4. Likes whitetop liked this post
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Thanks

I was hoping to not need all 3 items and would just need the adjuster bracket, i have read about the said problem on the bracket and it being a big problem due to it not being made of steel.

Do you think it would be worth changing over or just put up with the A/C motor/pump just to keep the auto tensioner, i'm making a trip to the scrappy tomorrow to check these parts out but if its not worth the long term problems i will just leave it be.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Just get all the bits the adjusting bolt snap-in is not the end of the world you just have to manually move the alternator to tension it and then do the mounting bolts up