MG ZR stepspeed

Thread: MG ZR stepspeed

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

MG ZR stepspeed

Hi I am new to the form and I hope this is in the right place I have just brought a four-door 1.8 petrol MG ZR with the CVT auto box the problem I have got is the car seems to be in limp mode when driving I do not have any engine management light on it just don't seem to go that fast I have checked the fluids on the gearbox and they seem ok any help would be grateful thank you...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Is there any juttering? have you had it plugged in before buying the car (its a must on inspecting a MG) John will help a ton if he sees your post but its kinda dead here.

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Hi I was wondering if you could help me I have a Rover MG ZR 1.8 on a 04 reg with the CVT automatic box I have just recently brought it it and it seems to drive slow so when I put it in D and drive it takes a bit of time to change gears I have looked underneath and the plug where the oil drains out as never been took out it was full of rust could you think it might just need a oil change the car is not juttering but when it's running its like it's shaking I did have the car off cousin and it has got loads of paperwork with the car really nice car are was just going to have it for a project any help would be grateful I'll put some pictures up soon and can you upload videos to this site as well well thanks have not had a CVT automatic box before I have only had one automatic I like my manuals any advice would help keep the great work up thank

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    If its never had a change of oil (gearbox) and its due i would check the state of it for sure, when i replaced my engine my oil was black like tar and that was at 67k i would be careful as well as if its a ib5 (from what i read about mine) its not mean to be changed that is why there is no drain plug (there is at the front but your not meant to drain them)

I would get it plugged in and have the ecu read to see if it comes up anything as with a auto it should pop up a error from what i've seen.

Pictures can be uploaded here but videos would need to be uploaded to youtube and link posted.

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Thanks for getting back to me I do not know when it was service last it does pull off quick when I put my foot on the accelerator but then it just drive slow after that I was going to drain 1 litre of oil out and put some Lucas Oil Car Transmission Fix Stops Slip Hard Shifting and see what that does if I do need a new gearbox do you know if one would fit out of a another mg only I can't seem to find many mg automatics also when the car is running there is a noise coming from underneath seem to be where the gearboxes and the car are you don't seem to take over right the car seems to shake but if I put my foot on the accelerator hold the revs just over 1000 the car seems to stop shaking then thanks mate

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Take care to only use the correct oil for the Stepspeed gearbox (CVT oil, NOT automatic transmission fluid). The Stepspeed is not like a conventional automatic, it is a van Doorn type driven by steel belts rather than gears, and using the wrong oil frequently causes problems. Indeed, that may even be the root cause of your current problems?

You will struggle to find another Stepspeed out of a ZR as they built less than 1000 ZR 120 Stepspeed, and quite a lot have already been scrapped (often due to problems with the gearbox)!

9. Likes whitetop liked this post