Electrical cut out after warm up
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Electrical cut out after warm up

My 02 plate MGZR 1800cc 160hp cuts out once engine is warmed up. all engine electrics are cut and the tachometer drops to zero even if car is still moving.
    The car will then not restart. However if the car is then switched off and left for several minutes it will restart and then run faultlessly.
    It is as if a warm up sensor is problem... once the heat from the started engine disapates to a sensor somewhere it is able to trigger a heat sensor the car can start.
    This has been happening for some time now, have not been able to locate fault from ECU codes. It can be very annoying, as it stops without warning and I have to coast car to the side of the road, then wait until I am able to restart it .

Can anyone advise if a particular sensor may be at fault?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    I would check cat and pre cat sensors make sure no brakes in the wire, how old are they? might be due to a change.

Have you checked all wires from ECU? the zr is a pain and even with faults on my old one it never showed any codes or warning on dash. see if you can get in properly plugged in so it can read every bit of the car as these OBD readers just show code when it lights the dash up, you need a proper one.

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
    I would check cat and pre cat sensors make sure no brakes in the wire, how old are they? might be due to a change.

Have you checked all wires from ECU? the zr is a pain and even with faults on my old one it never showed any codes or warning on dash. see if you can get in properly plugged in so it can read every bit of the car as these OBD readers just show code when it lights the dash up, you need a proper one.
    I have ordered a new crankshaft sensor, I will see if that makes any difference and then move on to the others one by one.

Pre and post CAT sensors were renewed fairly recently so hopefuly not them..

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    If its the crank sensor i would be surprised and it would not have started, have you checked the timing if your thinking its that?

you could of renewed it yesterday but it will not stop a sensor going bad on day one.