Electric Window issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Yes, it should be possible to run a separate power feed to the window switch to bypass the Pektron unit; I am not entirely sure where the overload sensing is controlled from to stop the motor at the limit of the window travel, but there used to be an aftermarket kit for fitting electric windows to a manual car and (having removed one from a ZR a couple of years ago) there wasn't any seperate control unit involved, so I think the sensing may be at the motor itself.

The Pektron relays are double relays (all the same) with each side controlling a different function. The one for electric window control controls the up from one half of the relay, and the down from the other half. The Pektron unit does control the 'one-shot-drop' function of the drivers window, so you would lose that by hard wiring the window power feed. I would think the "electric window controller" that you have seen will be the ecu for controlling the drivers side 'one-shot-drop' on pre-Pektron SCU equipped cars, and could be used to do the same if you bypass the Pektron unit (I am not sure of any re-wiring necessary though).

Good job you don't have a five door ZR - the facelift five door 160 had electric windows in the rear doors also as standard! (although I think they may not have been standard for the Aus spec version - there were a few differences in spec between the Australian ZR and the European ones - yours will I think have the basic 'Matrix' style seat coverings (black and grey chequer pattern) with vinyl side bolsters, where the facelift European 160s had plain coloured cloth centre sections (either black/dark grey, green or blue) with leather bfacings to the side bolsters. You also got a passenger airbag as standard (legal requirement in Australia?) where it was an optional extra for us.
    Last edited by Evil C; 07-03-21 at 11:09.

2. Likes Baldrick56 liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Thanks EC
    yes I have the basic 'Matrix' style seat coverings (black and grey chequer pattern) with vinyl side bolsters, also passenger airbag which I think you're correct to say must be an 'ADR' requirement. It also has "Cruise control" which I think must have been an option here at the time.
    Regards,
    Rob
    Rob

fleet:
    2005 MGZR 160; 1953 Bristol 401 (under restoration); 1953 Citroen 15CV (under restoration - Slough built so its 1/2 Brit); 1969 Peugeot 404; 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Station Wagon; 2004 Smart Roadster; & the 'company' 2013 Mahindra Pikup Utility;
    [I]that's one for each day of the week - I really should stop ....:-/; whoops I didn't, well its not really a car - 1951 Ferguson TEA20

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Cruise control is certainly a bit of a rarity for the ZR - there was an option for cruise over here, but it wasn't well publicised (and I think may have been available only via the 'Monogram' special order scheme). It was simply an aftermarket cruise system supplied to MG Rover by Rostra, and the same basic unit was used for 25/ZR as well as 45/ZS. I acquired the kit shortly after MGR went bust (for a fraction of what MG used to charge for it), but have never got around to fitting it (I would probably use it very rarely anyway).

6. Likes Baldrick56 liked this post
    *Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil C View Post
    Cruise control is certainly a bit of a rarity for the ZR - there was an option for cruise over here, but it wasn't well publicised (and I think may have been available only via the 'Monogram' special order scheme). It was simply an aftermarket cruise system supplied to MG Rover by Rostra, and the same basic unit was used for 25/ZR as well as 45/ZS. I acquired the kit shortly after MGR went bust (for a fraction of what MG used to charge for it), but have never got around to fitting it (I would probably use it very rarely anyway).
    So my "one of fifty" is even rarer

Not much progress yet on the window - wildly off-topic but yesterday I got an 'electric trailer brake' controller fitted to my 'Ute' {ahem that one doesn't appear in the 'signoff' - wellll its a "company" vehicle, not really mine at all }, mentioned to the electrician about both the problem and my 'cunning plan' to bypass controller with a new feed & relay. He's going to have a look at it for me - once I can get another work "window" to take it there.
    Regards,
    Rob
    Rob

fleet:
    2005 MGZR 160; 1953 Bristol 401 (under restoration); 1953 Citroen 15CV (under restoration - Slough built so its 1/2 Brit); 1969 Peugeot 404; 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Station Wagon; 2004 Smart Roadster; & the 'company' 2013 Mahindra Pikup Utility;
    [I]that's one for each day of the week - I really should stop ....:-/; whoops I didn't, well its not really a car - 1951 Ferguson TEA20