General ZR Modifications
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts

General ZR Modifications

Taken & Reworded From Other Site - Might Be Worth A Sticky

Seat Leon Cupra R Splitter - part no: 1ML 805 903 - Currently £46 from a seat dealer.

MK2 colour coding fog surrounds - An amazing mod as the surrounds go dull and grey also look great when done.

MG TF Rear View Mirror look to pay around £10 - £15

Wind deflectors Look Around £28

Smoked Focus Style Indicators - Makes the car look more sporty also cheap and easy.

Crystal Black Indicators (MK1) Add a set of smoked indicators to freshen up the front end of your zr - Expect to pay around £15 used or £25 new.

HID Conversion - Xenon headlight conversion which makes the car look more expensive and newer ! You can buy a conversion kit for about £40 posted off of ebay and i would recommend buying bulbs between 5000k - 8000k.

LED Sidelights - A set of Xenon White SMD sidelights is essential with the HID kit to match the white light of the xenon bulbs. They also look good with just normal bulbs and make the car stand out a bit more. Expect to pay around £5 posted for a pair of decent bulbs.

MG Badges - Easy to replace and a good idea as most people's MG badges seem to fade, Either buy an OE replacement or go for something custom from Dazzer (Locking Vinyl Site Trader)

Xsara Washer Jets - a clever mod discovered by Shafz, these spray out more of a mist rather than each jet sending out 2 streams of washer fluid. This means more of your windscreen is covered and your windows will be washed better! Part no 6438v8 about £6 from ebay

Aero Wiper Blades - make the car look more modern as well as being generally better at wiping the windows through applying pressure equally throughout the blade expect to pay £10-£15 posted.

Discs & Pads - A worthwhile upgrade (especially for 105 owners!) is to get a decent set of discs and pads on the car. I would recommend the EBC turbo grooved discs and greenstuff pads. You should be able to get these for around £130 brand new - expect to pay about £20-£30 fitting.

Lowering Springs - Cheapest lowering option offering a 35-40 mm drop the best lowering springs available for the ZR are Avos. You can get these for £130 posted from AMW Motorsport - fitting will be around £80 unless you are capable of doing it

Calliper/Drum painting - A nice tasteful mod can be to paint your callipers a colour which goes well with your car - e.g red or gold on a black car. Use Hammerite paint or Etech or Foliatec take your time doing it leaving plenty of time to dry. If painting drums always ensure they are done black

Retro Fit Side skirts - An essential mod if your zr came without skirts is to fit them! You will need the skirts and a fitting kit - (mk1 & mk2 skirts & fitting kits differ!). Ebay often has the skirts available for around £80, but fitting kits can be more hard to come by. Brand new they will be about £40 for the fittings.

Window Tints - A nice set of tints can make a massive difference expect to pay about £150 for a decent job.

LED Rear Brake Light - These were standard on the new shape ZRs and tidy up the back end nicely. Expect to pay around £30 for one of these.

De wiper Cap - not everyone is a fan of these probably a more essential mod for a mk2 owner but still looks good on a mk1! These cost around £10 posted or a tap hole stopper most diy stores.

De-badging - This is not to everyone's taste but removing the MG badge and ZR badge on the mk2 boot makes it look cleaner . It is free to do - all you need to do is get a hair dryer or heat gun apply some heat and run dental floss behind to remove them use some tar & adhesive remover to get rid of any left over sticky

Number Plates - a nice custom set numberplate's will make a world of difference such as pressed or ones with a mg logo on the left hand side

Rear Lights - there are a large number of tail lights available for the ZR. I recommend either black magic (these came standard on MK2 Trophy SE) - about £50 used off eBay, Red ABC lights (keep the OE colour scheme but freshen up the back end and look more modern) - £100+ new online if you can find them

Silvertec bulbs or SMD***8217;s - a pair of silvertec or SMD bulbs for the rear lights they look a lot better as they remove the fried egg look by having a silver coating yet still flash orange you will need 581 offset bulbs for the rear lights

Rear Spats - These were only available for MK2s, but if you have a mk2 without these definitely a worthwhile mod they go on the lower corners of the bumper making a more sporty look & will cost you anywhere from £40-£80 depending on were you buy

Exhaust - A nice back box looks great and sounds great the best shape for a MK1 is a twin pipe & on a MK2 an Oval Expect to pay around £150 for an off the shelf ready to go back box, or about £150-£200 for a custom cat-back system from Long-life/power flow/etc. or a full system from Janspeed for quite abit more

Induction Kits- There is three options
    Cone (Loud, Cheap, Heat soak) ***8211; £30
    Enclosed (Best for performance, Expensive) - £50+
    Replacement Sports Panel Filter (Better For Performance Over Open Cone Not Much Noise) - £30

Z&F Remaps are suitable for all K-series models, up to 10% power increase as well as more torque and a noticeable improvement in throttle response and economy prices are around £200-£220.
    Z&F are ex MG-Rover engineers so no one is better suited to mapping these cars.

Last edited by Longerz; 23-08-13 at 11:53.
    l Build Thread l
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Likes xanadu, rakester liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    LCR splitters should only go on LCR's

everybody bodging them onto there front bumpers is the reason mine keeps being knicked from my LCR

5. Likes hyphon12 liked this post
    Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Lol use some tigerseal on it
    l Build Thread l
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dislike / Like Alerts
    great list and bad list at the same time

this may end up being my new shopping list lol

8. Likes Jonw94 liked this post
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Dont forget, christmas is comin up! im printing this page off and giving it to santa!!
    V8 - Im doing my bit for global warming

10. Likes BakerZR160 liked this post
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    I think santa may tell me where to go

12. Likes Jonw94 liked this post
    Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Nice work but you should add wheels to it like 17" straights

Quote of the week
    Quote Originally Posted by cub66 View Post
    No comment lol I no what xan and p.h are like they are as bad as each other lol

Dislike / Like Alerts
    not sure if you noticed PH, but you are a mod, you can edit the list lol

Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    if anyone wants anything added pm me with a list and explanation y and or price like above and i will add it
    l Build Thread l
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    anybody got any more suggestions
    l Build Thread l
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]