Lowering Spring Options
    MGZROwnersClub
    Official How To Guides

Dislike / Like Alerts

Lowering Spring Options

Lowering Spring Options
    You have the following choice of springs to lower a ZR...

'Original' Black Avos -
    ~35mm-40mm - The 'original' black avo springs are black in colour and are not progressively wound. Considered by most the more desirable spring for a ZR as they tend to sit lower than all other springs but give a harsher ride. Most users report better handling. No longer sold new.

'Red' Avos - ~30mm-35mm - Progressively wound so not as harsh as original black avos. Not considered by most to lower as much as the original black avos. Most users report better handling. No longer sold new unless old stock.

'New' Black Avos- ~30mm-35mm - Another revision of the red avos but now black in colour, progressively wound again. Similar / the same as red avo's. Most users report better handling. These are the only type Avo now supply from new.

P.I.- ~30mm-35mm - Comparable to New/Red avos, provide good ride comfort with a good drop. Most users report better handling.

Eibach X Power -
    ~20mm-25mm Provide great handling characteristics with minimal suspension drop, considered by many to be the best performing spring for a ZR. Great for cars with body kits or clearance issues as suspension height is not altered hugely.

Spax, Gmax and Apex also provide lowering springs for ZR's but most of the above options are the 'tried and tested' springs that most people consider the best choices.

Feel free to post pictures below of your ZR lowered with any of the above springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

*Newbie*
    Dislike / Like Alerts

comfort rather than drop

can anybody recommend a coilover option that wont affect the drop greatly but will improve handling and more so take the bumps smoother ,i know zrs dont do bumps at all lol but my standard set up wiggles all over coming of speed bumps .i dont mind the hard ride but should feel controlled still right

Dislike / Like Alerts
    What set up are you running at the moment ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Can anyone tell me if its safe to cut a coil off a 30mm lowering spring to give the car that extra drop?

Dislike / Like Alerts
    i wouldnt recommend it as your car would be constantly on the bumpstops and you will eventually nacker up your damper from being compressed to much

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Cheers for the advice. Anyone know any alternatives as 30mm just isnt enough!!

Dislike / Like Alerts
    coilovers would be the best option but there not the cheapest

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Yeah I know. Cheapest ive seen are around 600 quid. Probably half the value of the car lol. Crazy how expensive mods are compared with how cheap the cars are to buy

Dislike / Like Alerts
    The only Avos you can buy are the blacks, i ordered mine from factory and was told buy the sales guy there the only ones listed for all ZR's