Engine / Bay Clean
    Dislike / Like Alerts

Engine / Bay Clean

carbay.jpg

Whats the best thing to clean parts of the engine bay?

Mainly the metal cover on the engine (some people paint this?) It's above the plastic cover that's purple on mine

P.s. I will be sorting out the CAF so it sits nicely/looks nice, etc..
    ## Peterborough
    MG Rover Eastern Owners Club

Progress Thread | Photo Gallery

2. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    I recently did something I never had the balls to do before...covered up the electrical connections, alternator, and battery etc. Sprayed the engine with Autoglym engine bay degreaser and left the engine running whilst jet washing the engine.

Came out spotless and didn't require much elbow grease at all, just go very easy.

Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    With regards the metal bit, degrease it and use some wire wool for the stubborn grime. Then polish it with some metal polish.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MGZR Owners Club
    Advertisements

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by rakester View Post
    I recently did something I never had the balls to do before...covered up the electrical connections, alternator, and battery etc. Sprayed the engine with Autoglym engine bay degreaser and left the engine running whilst jet washing the engine.

Came out spotless and didn't require much elbow grease at all, just go very easy.
    I have heard of people doing that.

Does it usually cause problems if the engine isn't running then?

As I overheard my mechanic I use talking to someone about a broken car, and he made it sound like the reason was because, I quote "I bet you he tried pressure washing in his engine bay". As there was water in places that shouldn't have been, etc.

I will definitely sort the metal bit out, as with the painted plastic cover, my eye is drawn to that and how dirty it is

Cheers!
    ## Peterborough

Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    I have heard of people doing that.

Does it usually cause problems if the engine isn't running then?

As I overheard my mechanic I use talking to someone about a broken car, and he made it sound like the reason was because, I quote "I bet you he tried pressure washing in his engine bay". As there was water in places that shouldn't have been, etc.

I will definitely sort the metal bit out, as with the painted plastic cover, my eye is drawn to that and how dirty it is

Cheers!
    You've just gotta be careful, if you start jet washing near the spark plugs and air intake etc then you're asking for trouble. It's not something I would do on a regular basis but the engine bay was filthy so wanted a fast option instead of spending hours with a small brush like I had done in the past.

Edit: However, most people will say not to pressure wash an engine bay at all. The 'hard graft' option with a brush is definitely the safer option.

Dislike / Like Alerts
    Cool cheers Jake!

I want the metal part clean over anything. So I think I'll get my spare toothbrush out and tackle it with degreaser.
    Should come up nice with metal polish!!

What is your opinion on heat wrapping the manifold exhaust (front) over using a heatshield? Only heatshield I like was a s/s one which I can't remember who had one. Maybe Mean&Green?
    ## Peterborough

Official Enthusiast
    Dislike / Like Alerts
    i have done it to many cars at home and at work

cover the fuse box, power steering bottle top and brake fluid......

start the car

spray on a light mist from the pressure washer stand back from the car so you are getting the spray not the full pressure

Get some autoglym engine degreaser or something similar they also do a good bristle brush spray it on then agitate it with the the brush and repeat as u need get things clean

stand back and use the mist from the jet again but if u are worried about the pressure use a hose with a controllable attachment on

then stand back and enjoy a clean engine bay all be i spilt some oil on a top up lol

l Build Thread l
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]